Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A bit of Daily Packing, FTW

The other day I had packed my bags and was on my out the door of SAPT when Chris looked at me, stopped what he was doing, and chuckled.

"Wow.  That's what it looks like to pack for success when you're away from home all day."

Chris could relate to the number of bags I had hanging off my shoulders as he is also frequently away from home 11-12+ hours per day. 

It gave me an idea for a blog post, because it reminded me that many people don't give any thought to preparing meals/training supplies for the day.   Below is a picture I had taken on Tuesday (the only weekday I'm home before 9pm):


On the left is my backpack, where I keep my gym clothes, training logs, five finger shoes, and various bits of training equipment (resistance bands, homemade suspension trainer, nun chucks, etc.).

In the middle is my cooler where I keep my meals for the day (smoothies, oatmeal, vegetables, dead animal flesh, etc.).

On the right is my "work" bag where I keep my laptop, notebooks, books, blueprints for world domination, etc.

As I'm often gone for 12+ hours a day, I need to ensure that I have no excuse for missing a training session and/or eating something healthy while I'm out.

It seems that most people tend to rush out the door without preparing anything, go out to eat for lunch, and then return home that evening without swinging into the gym.

"I'll do it tomorrow....."

Look, I'm not oblivious to the fact that almost any adult is in a constant state of "OMGI'msobusyIhavenotimeforanythinganymore!"  I also recognize that I currently do not have children to take care of.

However, I DO find it funny that almost everyone seems to have a hour (or three) to watch brain-sucking shows such as The Jersey Shore each night.  There's a reason the actors on that show are making so much money, ya know?  They wouldn't be if there weren't millions of Americans who "don't have time" watching it.


Maybe it's not a reality show.  Maybe it's surfing their Facebook page for an hour straight.  My point is, almost anyone has more time than they think they do. 

The time spent sitting in front of the tube could be spent preparing healthy meals for the following day, so you don't have to go out to a restaurant on your lunch break.  Pre-chopping your vegetables is a simple strategy to save time cooking each night.  Eating a home-cooked meal will not only save you money but it will also spare your waistline.

Pack your gym bag the night before, and set it right in front of the door.  It's crazy how that simple step will help ensure you don't neglect taking care of yourself the following day. 

I'm not saying you have to pack as many bags as I do.  Heck, some of my closest friends in high school nicknamed me "The Carrier," as I always seemed to have my hands full no matter where we were.

But, just packing a couple things for the day can go a long way in setting you up for success.

0 comments:

Post a Comment