Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

If you live in the NorthernVA/DC area, Please consider this



I normally don't recommend endurance training for health and movement-quality purposes, but this is an exception.  I personally don't perform any endurance training myself (see Part 1 and Part 2 of the Cardio Confusion posts for further clarification, as well as the Resistance Training for Runners series) but please HIGHLY consider doing this if you live anywhere in or near Northern Virginia.  

Before becoming a full-time performance coach at SAPT, I worked as a Physical Therapist Aid for an awesome company called Commonwealth Orthopaedics.  The physical therapists that work for Commonwealth are amazing, and I highly, highly recommend their services.

Anyway, Commonwealth is helping to sponsor an 8k/1 Mile Fun Run in Burke, VA on April 10th.  All of the proceeds go to benefit the Celebrate Cherie Scholarship Fund.  Cherie was a very sweet, young (35 years old) physical therapist - who worked for Commonwealth - that died suddenly in 2009 after fighting a rare cancer.  She was an awesome PT, and anyone that knew her could testify to way she greeted life with a smile and genuine care toward others.

The money raised will go to the Celebrate Cherie Scholarship Fund, which helps physical therapy students pursue their dream of helping others as she did.

If you don't feel comfortable running the 8k, you can walk/run the 1 mile portion as well!  The course is set up through the scenic Burke Centre.

I will personally be running the 8k just to see how well I do (the last endurance event I did, training sessions included, was a 5-mile sand/obstacle course race back in August 2010).  I don't expect to place exceptionally well, so feel free to come on out and whoop up on me!  

Please go to one of these two locations to find out more and sign up!

http://www.prraces.com/rockstar/


The Facebook Page for the race

Thank you!

Stevo

0 comments:

Post a Comment